Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Jules?!! I need you!!

And any other inspiring designers out there. We've decided (thanks to the jolly one in the red suit) that we're going to bite the bullet and convert the upstairs office to a play room.
The problem? We have no 'extra' money to do it the way *I* want to. So I'm forced to work with what I have.
What I have is dark wood paneling and bright blue shag carpeting direct from the 70's. Ugly in all sense of the word. I need ideas. I'm not adverse to painting the walls, anything is better than living in a wood pile. I want a fun place for the kids to play and relax that also fits in with the style of my home. Some toys will be staying downstairs but 99% will be going up. Eventually the girls will move up there to share a bedroom as well, but not until they are self-sufficient enough to come up and down the stairs themselves.
So please help a girl out. I've never been one to have decorating woes, but would love to have some feedback and ideas from others.

6 comments:

carebear7951 said...

Kendra-the fun of doing a kids' room is that it's all just fun and games! There is no rule. I would prob'ly paint that paneling (use kilz first obviously) either a pastel color or white and then find some kind of "whimsical" stamps to put "pictures" on the walls. (Big chunky flowers or princess fairies or castles...) minimal cost but fun fun fun! Then you could make some HUGE throw pillows (think for laying on) to put by the book shelves...I hope that helps, even though you didn't ask for my opinion...sniff sniff...lol

carebear7951 said...

what I meant by "no rules" is that it does not need to be "sophisticated" or anything, just FUN and comfy...

Jules said...

I'm no designer by any stretch of imagination, but I'll help! I agree with Cara said, to begin with.

Take picture so we can see what you already have. If you have to work with the blue carpet, you should get something (like fabric for those pillows Cara mentioned) that incorporates that color. Then you can pull other colors from the fabric, accessories, artwork, etc. and paint the walls one of those colors.

We had wood paneling in our toyroom, and we painted over it. It looks great!

Unknown said...

Oh Cara, jump right in! I'll take all the help I can get. I just know how much Jules loves a decorating challenge LOL.
I'll try to get some pics tomorrow so you can see what I'm working with. My very first challenge will be convincing my DH it's ok to paint the paneling.

Colleen said...

Oooo...this is fun!!! Definitely paint the paneling, it makes a HUGE difference! We need pictures for sure but I can't wait, this will be great!

carebear7951 said...

My entire living area is painted paneling and it looks ok! I would not choose it for a living room, but it actually is ok. You're right though, you want it to be airy and bright-not dark and dreary. I would **so** come and help you if I were there...what am I saying? I still have the ugliest bathroom in the world ;) Better work on that first!