Monday, January 28, 2008

The one where she waxes nostalgic.

Isn't it funny how certain scents jog your memory? A few days ago at Wal-Mart I did some mental math and figured I was running low on soap. I prefer bar soap, but that is neither here nor there. I picked up some Dove (original scent) and went on my way. I opened that bar of soap on Friday morning and by Friday afternoon the entire bathroom smelled of it's sweet fragrance. My grandmother has extremely sensitive skin, and has always used Dove. It didn't really 'register' until I smelled the scent. It took me back to when I was a kid. Spending summers at her house, helping her cook, reading for hours curled up in the living room with her, playing educational board games when I was having trouble getting math and so much more.
A day later my husband and I stopped at Lowe's for some contact cement for a project we were starting. The smell of lumber instantly took me to my friend Sacha's house, which is rich with raw lumber accents and fresh drywall. My heart ached because I miss her so bad.
Lilies of the Valley grew next to the house where I was raised. The smell of them still take me back. Oh the hours my best friend and I played 'spy' and hide and seek. The times we picked them by the handfulls to give to teachers, our parents, and other unsuspecting victims.
Scents can make anyplace feel like home.

3 comments:

Tamara said...

My godmother wore this perfume that was so amazing and to this day I always wondered what it was but made me feel so warm

Jules said...

Great post, Kendra. :)

Colleen said...

There's a soap that reminds me of my grandmother too, love it.